When the kids have exams, TAKS tests and STAAR tests, we get a letter from schools to make sure our kids eat wholesome breakfast and to pack a good nutritious and hearty lunch. Not that we don’t do the same for our kids every day, we go overboard with the wholesome healthy breakfast and a hearty lunch on these particular days.
Today was one such exam day, hence our healthy breakfast was a bell peppers and onions, egg omelet, while for lunch, I packed fish tacos, kettle potato chips, an orange, granola bar, apple juice and to ward of any fishy aftertaste, a small chocolate for dessert with a motivating note 😉
The Fish tacos are a healthy and wholesome lunch made with simple ingredients and hence easy to make for lunch boxes!
- Yield: Makes 4 tacos
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 4 uncooked flour tortillas
- 8 Chunky fish sticks
- 2 teaspoons of Salsa
- 2 teaspoons of Spicy Sriracha and Ranch combo sauce
- 1 teaspoon feta cheese( optional)
- 4 slices of Avocado
- 4 slices of cucumbers
- 8 slices of red/green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno seeded
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp cilantro
- dash of Salt and black pepper
- Grill or bake the fish sticks, I prefer to buy the chunky fish sticks which actually have fish, and not fish pulp.
- Cook the uncooked flour tortillas on a griddle with a small drizzle of oil to keep the tortilla crispy yet moist.
- To prep the fixings, chop some Romaine lettuce, chop cucumbers, slice green or red peppers, slice 4 avocado slivers, chop the jalapeno after deseeding it, and chop the cilantro.
- Now set the cooked tortillas on a foil, and lay out all the taco fixings on the tortilla and set the fish sticks. Top it with Salsa, the Sriracha and Ranch combined spicy sauce, salt and pepper, a dash of lemon juice, and optional feta cheese or any
- shredded cheese.
- Lay a lettuce leaf on top of all so that the fish and fixings stay together and roll the tortilla into an easy taco. Wrap this with foil to eat conveniently.